Monday, January 12, 2015

Easy Slow-Cooker Chicken Gyros and Homemade Tzatziki

Why hello there! I’m back with another 21 Day Fix approved recipe. I found this recipe when someone posted it in the 21 Day Fix Support/Recipes group. Since I absolutely love any type of Mediterranean food, I just had to try it.

The original recipe was posted to Six Sisters’ Stuff but I made some small changes based on my preference. And when I say my preference, I mean my Middle Eastern taste buds that very much enjoy garlic and lemon. Feel free to cut the amount of garlic and lemon.



Ingredients -
1. 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2. 4 cloves garlic, minced (I actually have a wooden mortar and pestle that I use to mash the garlic)
3. 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice (typically one fresh lemon) or ½ lemon juice
4. 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
5. 2 tablespoons olive oil
6. 1 teaspoon sea salt
7. 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
8. 1 teaspoon dried oregano
9. 1/4 cup water

Directions –
1. You can begin by placing chicken in Ziploc baggie or Tupperware and adding 1 tablespoon oil, salt, red wine vinegar, oregano and garlic. Place in refrigerator and let sit for 30 minutes.
2. Spray crockpot with a non-stick cooking spray. Place chicken inside slow cooker and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours. (Add in a fourth to half of the onion slices in the last 30 minutes to an hour. Save the rest for later.)

·       You can skip the marinating process by mixing all ingredients in a bowl and pour over the chicken once it has been placed in the slow cooker.

While the chicken is cooking, you can make your homemade tzaziki. This recipe, I seriously became obsessed with. I’m never buying tzatziki again!

Ingredients -
1. 1 6 oz Fage 0% Greek Yogurt (or Greek Yogurt of your liking)
2. 1 Persian cucumber, diced
3. 1 tablespoon lemon juice
4. 1 garlic clove, minced (or as mentioned above – use a mortar and pestle to mash)
5. 1 tablespoon fresh dill, finely chopped
6. Dash of red wine vinegar
7. Salt and pepper to taste

Directions -
1. Mix first 6 ingredients together. Once well combined, add salt and pepper to taste.
2. Chill about one hour before serving.

Final prep of the sandwich –

I put together the sandwich in a Pocket Thin – 100% Whole Wheat Pita 

The additional ingredients I used for this was diced lettuce and tomatoes, the rest of the sliced onion, feta cheese, and kalamata olives


The way I count this for the 21DF is 1 red (easy to measure the meat into your container), 1 yellow (the open pita), 1 green (for lettuce/tomato/onion), 1 blue (cheese), and 1 orange (olives). I just measure out the tzaziki into two tablespoons and don’t count it.


No comments :

Post a Comment