Saturday, February 21, 2015

What I Have in My Fridge Jambalaya

Hello there – I hope wherever you are, you’re having a nice and warm day. Currently, we have more than 6 inches of snow on the ground with it still coming down. OH, and it’s supposed to freeze rain later so it definitely feels like there is no end in sight.

So as I sit here, stuck in my apartment, I realized I was craving something warm and filling but wasn’t sure what. As any normal person would do, I went to my fridge and pantry to scope what I had then went searching on Pinterest. I found a few jambalaya recipes so I decided to make a “What I have in my Fridge Jambalaya”. So this is my warning that yes, I know this isn’t regular jambalaya. I promise it’s still really good and simple!


Ingredients –
1 package of Hillshire FarmTurkey Polska Kielbasa, sliced thin 
1 cup of vegetables (I tend to keep a container of diced celery, carrots, and onions in my fridge – so this is what I used)
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 ½ tsp paprika
1 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic powder
½ tsp onion powder
¼ tsp black powder
¼ tsp cayenne pwpper
½ tsp oregano
½ tsp thyme
½ tsp Old Bay Garlic & Herb
1 can of diced tomatoes, undrained (I actually had whole tomatoes that I just cut up myself)
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup white rice
1 tbsp vegetable oil


Directions –
1. With the oil, cook the sausage, vegetables and fresh garlic for about 8 minutes. (until vegetables are soft)
2. Add all of the spices and stir until fragrant. (less than one minute)
3. Add chicken broth, tomatoes, and rice and bring to a boil.
4. Once at a boil, bring to a simmer and cover for about 20 minutes, mixing occasionally. (or until rice is cooked to your liking and broth is absorbed)
5. Serve warm.


Tip of the Day: If you somehow make this dish too spicy (like I did by not paying attention to my measuring spoon, not because of the recipe) a good way to help with that is to add ketchup! Since the ketchup is tomato based but also sweet, it will help absorb some of the spicyness. The ketchup also helps if you refrigerate it and you feel it's drying up.

I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I did. If you have any great recipes to share in the realm of "this is what I have in my fridge" essentials, please share. Stay warm and I'll be back soon with another recipe!



No comments :

Post a Comment