Sunday, September 22, 2013

Beer, Bourbon & BBQ

Last weekend my boyfriend and I were driving by Reston Town Center and he pointed to one of their banners that said "Beer, Bourbon & BBQ" and said, "Do you want to go?" Of course! We bought our tickets from their website that said "60 Beers, 40 Bourbons + lots of BBQ" and prepared for a fun filled Saturday.

The website said the event would be rain or shine and the weather called for 40% rain. Of course we assumed and prepared for the other 60 percent and headed out to Reston Town Center. Tickets included a souvenir glass for drink trials. They closed off their big parking lot for the entrance, beer tents and some vendor tents. They also used a connecting hill for bourbon tents, more vendor tents, and game space.

Both glasses came like the one on the left. However the VIP area had a Marker's Mark tent who waxed the bottom of the glasses for you. I wasn't VIP but I met this super nice woman who said this was her second BB&B this year so she gave me her Marker's Mark glass.

We didn't play any Cornhole but I liked their customized boards. Plus, they didn't really have any major signs so I took this as an advantage to take a picture.

One of their sponsors was Big Idaho Potato had this awesome truck hanging out. But there were WAY too many drunk people running up to the Potato people asking if it their truck was a real potato. Really?

I'm really not sure why they had a mini train, but it was cute!


Yuengling had this mini trailer that people could enter to win. I'm not sure what someone would use it for because a child could barely sit in it comfortably.. but it was über cute and perfect for my nonexistent puppy.

They also had a stage where they had some bag pipe performers, bands and other entertainers. To the right is the beer tent.


The event was from 2-6 and by 3:30 there was a torrential downpour. EVERYONE tried squeezing under the tents but it really didn't change much. This was a panorama that I did of everyone cramming themselves under the beer tent. Lucky for us we were right next to Blue Moon so we kept getting refills until it was safe to leave. I thoroughly enjoyed their Pumpkin! 

I almost liked every drink I tried. I would say that's because I avoided all the ones I knew I wouldn't like, haha. They did have a pretty stocked drink menu and I made sure to get my $35 ticket's worth. 

Bourbon
Fireball Cinnamon Whisky - I'd try this before and I really like it. I like cinnamon in general!
Firefly Sweet Tea Vodka
Firefly Sweet Tea Bourbon - I've had the vodka many, many times before but this was my first time trying the bourbon
Firefly Cherry Moonshine - GROSS. This I did not like!
Skinnygirl White Cherry - They made it a mixed drink with crystal light lemonade and the whole thing just tasted like water.
Cruzan Passion Fruit Rum - This was really good.
Why some of these were listed under the Bourbon list when they are clearly not bourbon, I'm not sure. I wasn't complaining though. I also really wanted to try Firefly Apple Pie Moonshine but that went real quick and they didn't have more.

Beer
Blue Moon Harvest Pumpkin - We were right next to Blue Moon when we were hiding from the rain so we got at least 10 refills. I know 10 sounds like a lot but please remember how small our glasses were. They also never filled them up all the way either.
Leinenkugel Octoberfest
Singha - We said "What? How do you say this?" The girl said "Sing-ha" - It's a pale lager from Thailand and it was pretty good.
Shiner Octoberfest
Harpoon Octoberfest
Brooklyn Octoberfest
Post Road Pumpkin


There were actually some other beers we tried that weren't on the list. I didn't bother to write them down because they had complicated names and I assumed they were on the website, but they're not. Oh well.

As far as the BBQ part goes, we didn't have any. The main food trial was in the VIP area but those tickets were $40 more. We knew there was no way we would try $40 worth of food, so we opted out. In the general area they did have a dead pig hanging out on a table where they had some guys cutting it open and giving out some meat. Trust me, I did not choose to try any of it. There were other food vendors there like a Greek food vendor, fried candy stand, and a popcorn stand. I most definitely bought a bag of kettle corn and brought it home with me.

Besides the horrible, horrible rain, we had a lot of fun. I would definitely attend next year, if they decide to return. I say that because this was their first year in Reston but I think they'll be back. I'm now looking forward to the Reston Town Center Oktoberfest the weekend of October 11th. I'm loving that each day that comes is becoming a prettier Fall day.  

Happy Sunday Funday! I hope you're all having a fun and relaxing day. Talk to you all soon!

 

No comments :

Post a Comment